Saturday, March 28, 2009

Invisalign on vacation and drinking soda and beer with Invisalign

I just got back from vacation the last week and wanted to report some of my recent findings during the trip.

I went on vacation with friends I hadn't seen in a while but am very good friends with. I waited a full day of hanging out with everyone before talking about my Invisalign. All but one of them had no idea I had them in and I had been interacting with them all day long. I did not try to hide them and smiled in every picture like I normally do. These are close friends that would not be afraid of telling me the truth so I was happy that only one person noticed (out of 7). The one person that did notice said she only noticed when I was having a close personal conversation with her and she recognized them since her mother had them a year ago. I had close personal conversations with everyone else as well without trying to hide them and no one else noticed. So far she is just the second person to notice in the two weeks I've had them in and the other person that noticed was also less than two feet from my face when they pointed them out.

The entire trip I smiled big like I have my whole life and did not try to hide them the whole trip. I would look at every picture taken of me after and I really could not tell I had them in. Sure, on a couple of them when I zoomed in all the way on the picture on the computer I could see slightly the reflection of the ridges of the aligners at my gum line.. but who on earth does that. I am very excited that I won't have to look at these pictures 5 years from now and go 'oh that is when I had braces' and be ashamed.

I think I may have forgotten to mention in my first impressions that I definitely had a bit of a lisp in my speech. I think it was worse when I thought about it but it was there. I think in general my initial lisp has faded away and I have not actually had anyone point out anything about how I talk since those first couple days.

Now, I'm going to go into a discovery that I don't know if I want to endorse but I thought I'd share. I read on some random blog that someone actually have their ortho tell them they could drink any non staining drink while having their aligners in. I immediately posted that I didn't think that was a good idea since the sugar and so on could get trapped in the aligners and cause quick tooth decay. Then it occurred to me... would it be that big a deal if you drank a soda, or a beer, or some milk with the aligners in... then just brushed your teeth afterward? I mean... if the reason you shouldn't do it is for the health of your teeth why not just drink and then brush your teeth soon after? I understand if you drink coffee or Gatorade while you have them in you could risk staining not only your teeth but the aligners as well... but what about mt. dew? or a light beer?

Anyhow, I tried this out the whole vacation. I would drink my beer/shots/margaritas the whole night with everyone else with my aligners in and every few hours or whenever I used the rest room I'd just quick brush my teeth and rinse out my aligners then put them back in. It seemed to work just fine and I don't really understand the harm in this approach. It is certainly better than keeping the aligners out for 3 hours while I drink with everyone. The result seemed fine so I'll likely continue this approach with drinking unless I hear from someone a good reason why this won't work.

Overall my first vacation with Invisalign was a little burdensome but successful. I did constantly have to duck away to go brush my teeth and put my aligners back in and I did have one time where I forgot to bring my carrying case and had to put the aligners in a napkin in my pocket. My ortho specifically said to not put them in a napkin but I wasn't about to leave em uncovered in my dirty pocket while I ate. I also purchased a travel toothbrush and tooth paste. It was an 8 hour drive to our vacationing location so I had a few meals on the road and in the car. I actually brushed my teeth in the car twice, having to spit the toothpaste into an empty bottle.

One last thing I wanted to mention is the commonly talked about topic of keeping the aligners clean. I have been cleaning the aligners with hand soap and a tooth brush about twice a day or whenever it looks dirty. I have noticed in the latter half of the second week that the trays have gotten dirtier faster and have developed a foul smell when they are not clean. It's pretty gross... at one point when I put the trays back without doing a full cleaning I got that feeling you get when you put a dirty pair of socks on.

One last thing I wanted to talk about is that I have purchased a 35% peroxide whitening program off eBay for $20. This is a lot cheaper than the $150 program the ortho offered for their 10% peroxide treatment. It truly does sound too good to be true but the sellers feedback was very good and consistent. I just got it today and have used it one time so far but I will wait at least a week before reporting results. After I am done with the whitening treatment I will post some 'after' pictures of the whitening that you can compare with the before pictures.

I cannot wait until Monday when I get to put set 2 in. I plan on taking some Advil a couple hours before making the transition just to reduce any potential pain ahead of time.

*EDIT:*
I need to correct and clarify some stuff I wrote in the above post. First, the increased dirtiness and the 'foul smell' I reported in the second week was actually due to drinking beer with the aligners in. Soaking the aligners in diluted bleach did help but I have concluded that the very foul smell is a result of the beer. So, yes beer will stain your aligners and yes it will make them smell worse. BUT, they're only in for 2 weeks at a time and the smell and dirtiness can be reduced with advanced cleaning methods. Don't let beer drinking prevent you from getting Invisalign. I will still drink beer with my aligners in but just be aware there are consequences.

25 comments:

  1. Oh, tray two is nothing like tray 1. Tray one was so uncomfortable, painful, and tight. Tray two is a whole lot better at least to me. Ur drinking technique seems good to me. If I drank I would have no problem doing this. :) I hate the invisalign smell after close to 2 weeks. It's pretty funky, but as long as I clean them properly the smell will go away. Hey, you ever try crest white strips? Those are a godsend. I love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soak your invisalign in denture cleaner every morning while you eat breakfast and then brush them and your teeth after every meal. Thanks for the beer drinking tips. Does it make me an alcoholic that I googled "can I drink beer with invisalign"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it make me an alcoholic the fact that I think I managed less than a day without drinking beer with them in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my instructions say not to use denture cleaner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I have a meal at home I let my invisalign sit in listerine, and I have had no odor problems whatsoever. The listerine stains the invisalign slightly blue, but it comes out with brushing and hydrogen peroxide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I googled "can i drink beer with invisalign" as well! I am trying to decide between Invisalign and clear ceramic braces... will be getting one or the other next month (Nov. 2010).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe there is white listerine now: soaking your liners in that during meals may be beneficial - ?
    thank you for the travel toothbrush and paste idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my kit said no denture cleaner or hot substances (coffee?) either

    ReplyDelete
  9. any ideas/experience with coke? I love my coke, but I was told I can't drink it with the aligners in. I just got them today. To take them out to drink a coke will be a real pain as I just sip on a coke at work while I work. I know I shouldn't drink soda anyway, but I just hate giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't recommend sipping coke regularly with the aligners in. Coke will just get trapped in there and corrode your teeth and stain the aligners. As with any time you drink coke brush your teeth soon after.

    Also, if you ignore my advice and sip on coke all day with your aligners in and not brushing you'll find out fast your breath will stink and your aligners will be harder to clean.

    I know it sucks but you'll learn fast that with invisalign you give up casual eating or snacking. If you must drink coke then take the aligners out, drink, brush or at least rinse, then replace. If I were you I'd just plan your coke drinks out and the sip water the other parts of the day. I've learned that staying hydrated can do as much for your energy as soda can if not more. Maybe have a coke with meals and drink water through the day. I had the same issue with my dew and I survived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you should prolly just boof your booze. (if you don't know what that is, its when you consume liquid via your ass.) i've heard that 1 beer consumed anally = 10 beers consumed orally. that way, you don't have to worry about staining your invisalign AND you can get shitfaced for way cheap. BOOM problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lol @ boof .... in addition i have to chew my tobacco for 10 minutes with the aligners out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those things you did were indeed very interesting and cool. Keep coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL- I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about how I'm going to drink my beer with my Invisalign trays. :) I just got my trays yesterday, and am also guilty of Googling "can I drink beer while wearing invisalign". Took me right here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just picked mine up on Tuesday 2/21/12 and i too was brought right here regarding drinking beer/pop with them in. I will probably drink them still but yes rinse them out when possible. My aunt said she would put them in clear mouthwash as well to clean and keep odor down but she drank beer with hers in and said it was fine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just started my 2nd set of trays, but found this blog weeks ago. I will tell you, I do not take my trays out when drinking beer, and only drink water during the day. I also leave trays in when drinking coffee - I just drink it through a straw. When I do eat, I put them in a sonic jewelry cleaner I had, and use Listerine pre-rinse mixed with water, for as long as it takes me to clean my teeth - about 7 minutes. 1st set of trays look as good as the new ones. I did go away for the weekend, and that threw off the routine, but it's no big deal to keep a bottle of water with you, and brush your teeth in the restaurant parking lot - LOL I can tell you, I was around 100 people, and no one knew I had braces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It took me five days with Invisalign to google "can I drink beer while wearing Invisalign" haha At first I was very paranoid about drinking colored liquid of any kind but after nearly a week of keeping up with these things I decided to just go for it and clean my teeth and trays afterwards. In general I try to avoid consuming any food or non water liquids while wearing the trays, however I think if you are vigilant about washing and brushing soon afterwards you will be fine! After all you'll have these things on for awhile and you have to have a little fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It took me less than 12 hours of having the trays to google "drinking beer with invisalign". I was trying to decide if I should go to my HS reunion since I had to have a tooth pulled (right in the front on the bottom). It's left a gap but isn't noticeable if I leave in the tray. Drinking is a must at these functions but I didn't want to be seen with the gap. I guess I'll go and leave the trays in and drink and clean afterward. Thanks for the cleaning advice everyone! Oh, and by the way, my dentist talked to me about using the denture cleaner if they start getting funky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha i drink my coffee with a straw now too! I like to have a 30-60min gap between my morning coffee and breakfast so aslong as i clean the aligners when i take them out for brekkie it should be all good.. my ortho said i can drink anything with them in so i go out drinking with them in too and then as soon as i get home everything is cleaned again... I love people not noticing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cracking up! I didn't last 24 hours without googling drinking and wearing invisilign. Haha! I am a teacher on summer break and I love having my beer during the summer. I think I am a summer alcoholic. Haha! Don't tell my students. Anyways, thanks for posting this. How did we ever live without Google?

    ReplyDelete
  21. we all want to have a beautiful smile that's why we need to take care our teeth and brush everyday..if you are really conscious about your smile, correcting with braces will greatly improve the way you look and feel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't even purchase until I was sure I could drink with them in LOL! Heck I'm 53 and I wasn't going to give up my lifestyle. I'm putting in tray 2 tonight and tray one looks as good as new. I drank hot coffee, beer, margarita's, scotch and water. They only need to last two weeks and then you start fresh so what's the big deal?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would like to add that should be noted that brushing your teeth RIGHT after consuming acidic beverages actually HARMS your teeth. The enamel becomes soft from consuming the acidic beverage and becomes vulnerable to damage (vulnerable to tooth brushes as well!). If you must drink with Invisalign, you should only rinse out with tap water and rinse the retainer with tap water after every drink. When you're finished, wait 30 minutes and THEN brush your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  24. For anyone else who finds this blog (very good, by the way), a very easy way to keep your Invisalign sparkling is to soak them in H2O2. I soak during meals and while brushing. No problems with anything, they are clean and smell great. You can also rinse your mouth with H2O2, just dilute 50/50 with water. Great for traveling, even airplanes, just take a little with you in a 3 oz bottle. I've even skipped brushing a time or two if I have the H2O2 to rinse with and soak aligners. I'm on #6, so far so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you also dilute when soaking the aligners?

      Delete